On December 5th, Celebrate the Repeal of Prohibition by calling on Congress to pass the Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act S.362 and H.R.1175
- The clock is ticking on reauthorization of the Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act (CBMTRA) and December 20th is the last opportunity for action (The day Congress is expected to recess).
- December 5th, known as “Repeal Day”, marks an excellent time to remind Congress about the urgency of passing CBMTRA and making tax parity permanent.
- As you well know, the current lower FET for craft distillers will expire on December 31, 2019 – in just a few weeks.
- Please call your Senators and local Member of Congress on the 5th and urge them to co-sponsor and pass S.362 and H.R.1175.
- NOW IS THE TIME TO ACT for FET.
Key Talking Points
- In 2017, Congress enacted, for the first time, tax parity for spirits and provided a reduced Federal Excise Tax (FET) for craft distillers. Tell your elected legislator that before passage of H.R. 1 in December of 2017, it was a one-size-fits-all flat tax rate on large and small distillers.
- The reduced FET will expire on December 31, 2019. It is urgent Congress acts before that date.
- The tax relief is working just as Congress believed it would. Craft distillers are re-investing in American manufacturing. We have hired new employees, purchased American made equipment and have increased purchases from local agriculture.
- The growth of craft distilling is supporting main street, small business job growth, exports, tourism, rural and urban America economic development, and locally sourced products, the vast majority of which are made and sourced in the U.S.
- Without the tax relief, we may need to lay off employees and our business growth will be put on hold. Many of our businesses will simply need to close.
- The legislation further helps craft brewers and vintners. This is the reason every major beer, wine and spirits group has endorsed these bills.
- Please call or e-mail your Congressman and Senators on December 5th to ask them to co-sponsor and pass S. 362 (202-224-3121) senate.gov, and H.R. 1175 (202-225-3121) www.house.gov
- We’ve previously asked for your support and you’ve answered. It is CRITICAL that you again act. Thank you for being proactive in support of our efforts to make FET parity for you permanent.